Frequently Asked Questions
- We are confident that the quality of our merchandise will meet, if not exceed, your expectations. If you are unsatisfied with a purchase, simply bring back the item within 30 days of purchase. All returns must be accompanied by a cash register receipt for an exchange or refund.
- Cash purchases will be refunded with cash.
- Check purchases will be refunded with cash after a 10-day clearing period.
- Charge purchases will be refunded with cash or credited to the charge account
Returns with receipts over 30 days or returns without a receipt will receive store credit (at the lowest selling price of item). Store credits expire 1 year from date issued. Merchandise or plants that are in unsellable condition will not be accepted for refund, credit or exchange.
- All nursery stock is guaranteed for 1 year from date of purchase. Replacements will be made with credit for nursery stock equal to 100% of the original purchase price. No cash refunds will be given. You must present your green colored nursery contract along with the tree or shrub for replacement. Please retain your nursery contract and register receipt as this is the only record of your purchase. This guarantee does not include annual or perennial flowers, roses, ground covers, azaleas, rhododendrons, ornamental grasses, bare root stock, fruit trees or sale items, including those that end in .88. We cannot guarantee nursery stock planted in pots or planter boxes. Guarantee is not transferrable.
Replacement made one time only at the original purchase price. Guarantee valid if bill is paid in full and does not cover acts of God, vandalism, mechanical damage, animals, insects, disease or lack of care.
The Tree and Shrub Guarantee will be honored with the following:
- Nursery contract guarantee paperwork and register receipt
- The plant in question (if you are unsure of plant status, please call us prior to digging it up).
- We accept cash, check, Van Putte gift cards, and credit cards (Visa, Mastercard, Discover and American Express).
- We are not responsible for lost or stolen gift cards. Lost or stolen gift cards are non-replaceable.
- We offer delivery on all of our bulk materials. Delivery prices vary by distance. View our delivery price map to determine your cost. Deliveries can be arranged Monday through Saturday during the growing season and is based on a first come, first served basis.
- Due to the weight of the truck and bulk materials, drivers are not permitted to dump or drive on lawns or unpaved surfaces.
- Customer does not need to be home to accept delivery.
- Delivery hours are between 8:00 am and 7:00 pm. We do not guarantee a specific time slot but we will do our best to accommodate morning or afternoon delivery requests.
- We offer delivery of trees, shrubs, plants and certain bagged items. Please call (585) 225-7770 for delivery rates and guidelines.
- Trucks with a 6 ft. bed can hold approximately (based on weight):
- 1 ½ yards of mulch or compost
- 1 yard topsoil
- ½ yard of stone
Trucks with an 8 ft. bed can hold approximately (based on weight):
- 2 yards of mulch or compost
- 1 yard topsoil
- 1 yard of stone
- We offer a 10% discount every Wednesday for senior citizen shoppers age 60+ older. To take advantage of this special discount, it is the customer’s responsibility to mention or present a valid ID and ensure the discount is applied. Discount will be taken off total transaction, excluding sales tax. Not valid with any other sales, offers, coupons, on prior purchases or special orders. Cannot be used on gift cards, landscape installation services or delivery. Claims regarding Senior Citizen Discounts must be made before leaving the store.
- We are proud to offer a 10% EVERYDAY discount to U.S. Military members. If you are a U.S. Active Duty, Reserve, Retired Veteran or VA Recipient, show your valid Military ID to receive 10% off regular-priced items. Discount will be taken off total transaction, excluding sales tax. Not valid with any other sales, offers, coupons, prior purchases or special orders. Cannot be used on gift cards, landscape installation services or delivery. Claims regarding Military Discounts must be made before leaving the store.
- We run different sales throughout the year. They can be found in the D&C newspaper, Clipper Magazine, Valpak and on our website under Green Thumb Specials. You can also join our loyalty e-mail list where you will get exclusive deals sent directly to your inbox!
- We offer a discount to qualified professional landscapers and contractors who apply with us. Please stop by the main store counter and complete the application process. We require appropriate business documentation: your company Tax ID, DBA and tax exempt certificate (if applicable). Most accounts can be approved same day for COD purchases.
- In order for us to accurately identify a pest, disease, or other plant problem, please bring in a large sample where the plant or sod is transitioning from good to poor. Our Green Thumb Staff will do their best to identify the problem and recommend treatment. You can also check out our Gardening Tips & Solutions page for helpful tips for year-round garden care.
- We provide FREE soil testing at our garden center. Testing your soil for the proper pH levels will help you grow healthier lawns and gardens all year round. Here is how to prepare a soil sample for our Green Thumb Staff:
- Determine the number of areas that you wish to sample. For example, if you have a hillside and a low, wet lawn area, take separate samples from each. If you wish to test a vegetable garden and a perennial bed, take separate samples from each.
- Once you determine the number of areas from which to take soil samples, prepare the same number of clean containers (plastic container, glass jar, or plastic bag). The ideal sample size is approximately 1 quart.
- Use clean sampling tools that are not galvanized, bronze, or brass and wear clean gloves. Oils from hands or a small amount of fertilizer on tools or your gloves can seriously affect test results.
- Take samples at the correct depth:
- Lawns – 3-6″ deep. Remove any debris such as rocks, grass, and roots.
- Perennial gardens – at the root zone of the plants.
- Vegetable gardens – between the surface and 8” deep.
- Be sure to label each sample with the location in your yard.
- Avoid taking samples from unusual areas such as compost or manure piles, or yellowed lawn areas because they do not entirely represent the soil in your yard.
- Yes, we are fully insured for both commercial and residential landscaping jobs.
- We are open year round. During the winter season our days and hours of operation do change so please check the website or call us at (585) 225-7770 for current hours of operation.